Unbridled – An Externship Experience
Inspiring the Next Generation of Veterinary Practice Owners
Thank you to our veterinary students, facilitators and sponsors for making Unbridled – An Externship Experience such a memorable experience! The externship, designed specifically for aspiring practice owners, was inspired by, and largely made possible through, collaboration with Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences. Working under a federal grant, the externship had five primary objectives, including:
- Sharing ‘best practices’ for rural practice sustainability, viability and profitability thereby providing the next generation of owners a head start on their path to success
- Addressing wellbeing and wellness through equipping aspiring owners with the tools, knowledge and resources to accomplish their ‘why’ in practice
- Exploring the role of successful practice ownership in creating financial security and tackling student debt
- Formulating strategies to capitalize on changing client demographics and behavior
- Preparing externs for competing in the changing landscape of practice ownership
To accomplish the above, externs focused on four foundational pillars:
- Financial Analysis: Driving Change in Revenue & Expenses
- Culture & Staff Leverage: Developing & Achieving Your Mission
- Communication in the Clinic: Mastering the Art of Feedback
- Recruitment & Retention: Defining and Capturing Your Ideal Client
The externship utilized a variety of teaching modalities ranging from lecture to discussion to case study reviews and presentations to time spent in-hospital experiencing the concepts and lessons taught in class. Time in-hospital culminated with team presentations to hospital owners identifying implementable action steps surrounding the four tenets.
Thank you again to all who made this externship a success! For more information or if interested in future participation, please contact Stith at firstname.lastname@example.org.